Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 2 - Cemex and downtown

On February 16, we visited two Cemex cement plants in Port-au-Prince, learned a lot about the construction business in Haiti, and while traveling from one plant to the other by boat (otherwise it would've been a 2 hour drive), we got a close look at the damage at the public pier. After the cement plants, we finally went to downtown PaP and saw the devastation. We recorded in detail the damage in 4 blocks there. I only recall seeing about 1 building per block still standing. We also visited the Cathedral which had completely collapsed.

1 comment:

  1. I work for a US Design Build Contractor and we are working in Haiti currently doing rehabilitation projects. I'm curious as to where the plants were that you visited and how you found out about them. I have been search online to find CEMEX plants for a current project. Please let me know where they were if you can.

    ReplyDelete